Horizontal milling machine:
- In this machine Cutting tool is in Horizontal position.
- Work piece is parallel to rotating spindle.
- It has a vertical column. which supports ram, motor, and arbor.
- In this machine table can move in longitudinal, vertical, and cross.
- This is used in manufacturing operations.
- It required more floor space compared to vertical.
- This machine is more costly compared to vertical.
- This can produce a refined surface finish.
- This is highly used for complex things.
- This is used for slots making, grooves, threaded mounting holes etc.
Vertical Milling machine:
- The spindle in it is a vertical position.
- Work piece is in perpendicular with the spindle.
- It has a vertical column. which carry head and sideways.
- This can be moved in upward, downward, and can be swiveled to any angle.
- This is less in cost compared to horizontal.
- In this surface finish is not as smooth as horizontal.
- It required less floor space than horizontal.
- This is used to machine grooves, flat surfaces etc.
- This is used for machining large metal plates.
Read more: Difference between horizontal and vertical milling machine